Monday 23 March 2009

Out with the Old, In with the New - Lessons from a morning in the vegetable patch

The last week had brilliant sunshine and I was looking forward to the weekend. My 4 year old had sweet talked me into putting up a vegetable patch in our garden. The grand plan was to plant spinach and tomato. Not endowed with "green fingers" I was especially fearful of the activity. But with my wife and daughter joining in the task made it simple and enjoyable: a real example of "we" working together.

As I was digging up the square patch with all its roots, pebbles and sticky soil, a flash of clarity struck me. In our lives, when we set out to make changes whether in ourselves or the way we live, we face the daunting task of changing old habits, mindsets, thoughts and the ingrained ways that we work. These are like the roots in the vegetable patch that are difficult to rid of. I had to work extra hard to dig them up and throw them out. Preparing the patch with compost and filtered old soil and planting new seeds was analogous to introducing new thoughts, ideas and actions in our daily lives to improve ourselves. The job is not done with simply planting the seeds.

I will need to water the patch, add liquid feed and keep the neighbour's cat at bay to ensure the seeds have a good chance of sprouting into saplings and finally plants that will bear fruit. In the same way, we need to continually reinforce the new ideas and habits that we incorporate to ensure that the changes are long lasting rather than one-off attempts. We will need the help and support of family members and loved ones as well in the process. This is similar to the 21-day repetition that Robin Sharma mentions in "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" before a habit is formed. I look forward to the next 7-14 days for the saplings to sprout in my garden!

1 comment:

Ayonism said...

Nice analogy.