Thursday 31 July 2008

Overcoming your fears

First I had a bad feeling or unwillingness to go and meet these traders in a country where intellectual property is not respected. I felt concerned for my own safety because my visit entailed threatening these traders with legal action for selling copy product. Also, the fact that a European would accompany me to one of these less than reputable market areas to conduct discussions made me more nervous.

Visualization helped me here. I saw my colleague and I going there and being beaten up with our car stoned before we made a hurried escape. But banishing the negative thought from my mind, I pondered deeply. What if I were to face my fears – after all courage is not the absence of fear. It is the act of walking through your fears and doing what you are supposed to do. Call it trial by fire. Now I felt a bit more relaxed.

It struck me that it would be better to convey a toned down message rather than an aggressive one. At least the experience of talking to them would be an informative process – collect market intelligence, tell them about our patents and actions we take in the market. We were meeting them not to threaten them but to make them aware that our patents do exist and we have initiated action against one of the major brands in the market. I feel more confident about handling the situation and look forward to the visit.

No comments: